Sunday, October 19, 2008

Putting Disability in its Place

So I was thinking a little more about this essay/article.

I want to start with a quote of a quote in the essay.
"To know who you are is to be oriented in moral space, a space in which questions arise about what is good or bad, what is worth doing and what not, what has meaning and importance for you, and what is trivial and secondary."

As I mentioned before, who are we? That is a very deep question. Now that I think about it, I would prefer to identify myself with my morals and beliefs as opposed to my surroundings. I mean although I may feel most comfortable at my literal home (vs figurative like life in a book), my family may not make the best choices and thus I would not want to label myself based on other people. I would like to label myself based on the "moral space".

The really big question is, though, do we ever get a full grasp of who we are truly? As times change and passes, we as human beings change, our literal home and figurative homes change, our morals and beliefs can and do change, nothing is forever sure in life. How can we associate ourselves with anything solid enough to grasp who we are as a person? Can we? Is it ever truly possible? Or can we just know who we are for a period of time (until things change)?

Any thoughts are welcome... :)

No comments: